Our Church History
Early in the 1940’s a group of people began holding Sunday School in the Township Hall. Later, they were given the opportunity to use the church building just east of U.S. 31 on Winston Road. After some time, it was decided to buy the building. Mrs. Mildred Longnecker and Mrs. Esther Clements were instrumental in collecting enough donations to purchase the building on February 21, 1946.
Church services were added to the Sunday School and as the congregation grew many people of the church provided the labor that was needed to raise the facility through its various stages to where it stands today.
In the spring of 1981, the decision to build a new building was made. Work began at the present site in July 1981 with the first services being held on March 7, 1982. Various expansion programs have continued through the years. In 1993 there was an expansion of the sanctuary, the addition of the Youth Room and offices and the addition of two classrooms off the sanctuary. In 2011 a new wing that includes offices, classrooms, and a new youth room was opened.
In that first church, there were neither pews, nor electric lights. During the cold Michigan winters, the building was heated by means of a pot-bellied stove, but the warmth of Christian love and fellowship was burning in the hearts of that early assembly of believers and a commitment to truth that continues to this day.
For all this, and much more, we praise the Lord!
For an expanded history please see The Community Church: A Brief History of Rothbury Community Church.